Springville is located in the Sierra foothills at an elevation of slightly more than one thousand feet. Location information is available on our Maps page.
The town was originally named "Daunt", for William Daunt, a settler who opened the first store in the town in 1860. A photo of the interior of this store can be found on our Historic Tour page.
The Daunt brothers - 1895
The name was changed to "Springville" in January, 1911, purportedly for the great tasting water from the soda springs found in the area.
The town's first post office was completed in February, 1886. The first school built in Springville was finished in May, 1887 and was called the Dennison School. A new school was built in 1922 and named Springville Union, which is still in use today for kindergarten through eighth grade.
In 1918 Springville became world famous for its Tulare Kings Counties Joint Tuberculosis Sanitarium. This facility is no longer needed due to medical advancements, and has been converted to housing for senior citizens.
Today, Springville benefits as a tourist attraction. Each year in October, the Apple Festival is held here as a reminder of the towns? famous apples. Springville is also a cattle center, and has preserved its western heritage for over 50 years by hosting the annual P.R.C.A. Rodeo in April.
Enjoy your visit, and thanks for stopping by!
DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES